Nothing Left, to Say...

Where We Shed Light on the Right, We respect governance by the 2C's, Common Sense and the Constitution, where we never have anything Left...to say...We are also the home of the (almost) weekly Rant and Recipe...

Monday, May 10, 2004

Today I tread the hallowed ground of Arlington National Cemetery. As it does each time it left me deeply moved. It was my sad honor to stand in silent respect as three more souls were committed to honored eternity in those grounds. I stood in reverence as the mournful notes of "Taps" echoed across the rolling hills of that sacred piece of Virginia and was privileged to see things I had not previously witnessed. I saw a Sentinel bark at a misbehaving child that silence and dignity were expected at this site. I saw private citizens lay a wreath at the tomb and express their thanks to the guards in a small ceremony. We visited the Custis Lee Mansion and looked on in awe at the sitting room overlooking Washington wherein Robert E. Lee agonized over his resignation from the United States Army. The next day he became Commander of all Virginia forces committed to the Confederate cause. I was gratified to see so many schools sending their students to learn firsthand the history contained at Arlington. Schools from Alabama, Florida, Virginia and Pennsylvannia were noted. I was particularly pleased to observe a history teacher from Alabama instructing his students about Audie Murphy whose gravesite we also visited. Who can visit Arlington and not come away with a deep sense of gratitude? I look forward to the day when my son accompanies me to that hallowed ground and I hope that he too feels the gratitude and reverence that I do for that piece of ground.

Next it was a hike across the Potomac and a visit to the Lincoln Memorial and then the various War Memorials, especially the newly opened WW2 Memorial. I believe the newest addition is beautiful, moving and fitting tribute to those like my father who were part of that "Greatest Generation". A short stroll later we were at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. What a wonderful end to a sightseeing day, to revel in the glorious history of freedom and progress that are the hallmark of our National story. I shed a tear to see the original Star Spangled Banner now undergoing restoration and was much impressed by the sheer size of the flag. With the National Anthem playing in the background and the story of Francis Scott Key and the Battle of Baltimore echoing in the chamber, it was nothing less than spine tingling.

With all this going on, I am loath to discuss politics although we did observe the Presidential motorcade on it's way to the Pentagon where today the President offered a spirited defense of Secretary Rumsfeld. I also saw Marine One standing by to pick up the President. Along the lines of politics, we also dined with some lobbyists tonight as we have meetings scheduled tomorrow at Sodom on Potomac with our Congressional delegation. I am pleased to report that one of the lobbyists was the very conservative daughter of a distinguished California Republican. More on that in tomorrow's notes, now it's time to hit the rack....until then I remain,

Smilin' Paul Villa U.S. Senate 2004
cyber-Congressman, R-Reno
Proud Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy and 2 SUV Family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home