Nothing Left, to Say...

Where We Shed Light on the Right, We respect governance by the 2C's, Common Sense and the Constitution, where we never have anything Left...to say...We are also the home of the (almost) weekly Rant and Recipe...

Monday, March 29, 2004

Some of you might have noticed a few changes around here. Notably I changed the format of the blog because well I wanted a change for one and for two, I thought the header looked a little cleaner now. Let me know what you think. I also think that the links look a little better and are a little more managable offset left. I'll be playing around with it a bit today so we'll see what else comes this way. I have posted a link to Blogs for Bush where you can see hundreds of bloggers/kindred spirits and get a bit of wit and wisdom on those days when I've been too damn lazy to post anew. Now then, I want to get this week's recipe up because frankly, I've got to get busy on it.

I've got two slabs of beautiful pork ribs marinating in a dry rub since last night. The rub I applied to these two racks of spares is Emeril's Bayou Blast Essence. This is primarily a blend of Cayenne and Paprika with garlic and some other stuff. Now those of you who know me, know that I am never at a loss for new bbq recipes and I have in the past played around with making my own rubs. I tend to like a lot of pepper and garlic in my rubs and Emeril's Bayou Blast supplies that in spades. Now if you like your ribs on the sweeter side, may I recommend North Main BBQ's Secret Spice produced by the Sweet Meat Cooking Team in Euless, Texas. Now then, I took these two slabs of ribs and cut them in half. I then pried up the membrane on the back of the rib rack and pulled it off. This is optional, some folks like the extra chewy texture but to bbq artisans like myself and Mike "Pointman" Edwards, it is nothing short of heretical to leave the membrane on. Now coat the ribs generously with the Bayou Blast and rub it into the meat. Then transfer the meat to ziploc bags or wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Throw in the refrigerator over night.

Now then, if you followed my instructions on a smoker last week, you should be able to plug that baby in and get it going. Once it has a chance to warm up the clay pots, remove the upper and take out the bbq rack. Now transfer the meat to the rack and place some soaked hardwood chunks or smoking pellets in the pie tin. If you're using pellets, fold them into a foil pouch and puncture it before placing it in the pie tin. Lately I've been having great success with pecan pellets and maple chips soaked in whiskey. Once the smoke source is in the pie tin, place the rack with the ribs back in the flower pot and place the other one back on top. Wait about 5 hrs and check the meat. When the rib meat starts to pull back from the bone, about 1/4" you know it's done and that rib would tear away with little effort. Now I like to transfer the ribs to real low heat in my bbq grill so I can baste them with sauce for the last 15 minutes or so. This is really just to add another dimension of flavor and a little sauce as the meat is already done. Since we're all counting carbs these days, might I recommend that you serve these up with some Ranch Beans and Egg Salad to replace BBQ Beans and Potato Salad? Try it you'll be surprised. Next week we'll be discussing an American Luncheon icon, the best way to whip up Tuna Salad, until then, good eating on ya's!!!

Smilin' Paul Villa U.S. Senate 2004
cyber-Congressman, R-Reno
Proud Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy and 2 SUV Family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home